Thursday, May 22, 2008

T (Thailand) minus 22 hours



Well this is it. My last day in Canada, or North American for that matter. I can barely believe a month ago is when I made the decision to move across the planet

For those of you who don't know, I got a job offer at an English publishing company in Phuket. It's Thailand's largest island located in the southern half of the country. I applied for the gig thinking I didn't actually stand a chance of getting it. After all, I'm pretty sure there are a million people who would love to live on a tropical island in Thailand. I forced myself to apply anyway, and a week later, I got the offer. WHOA.

There were a lot of pros and cons for me to weigh, so I won't say it was the easiest decision. But I went with my gut, and it said go. It just feels right. I know there are going to be a lot of adjustments: a new job, a new country, a new culture, new friends...a new life basically. I'm ecstatic on so many levels, but I also don't think I have ever felt so frightened in my life.

Going to Rwanda was scary, but I knew it was only going to be two months. Hong Kong wasn't scary at all. But moving to Thailand is different. What if I get sick and there is no one I know well enough that will take care of me? What if something happens to family or friends at home and I can't get home fast enough? What if my job doesn't go as well as planned? In my gut, I know these things aren't really worth worrying about, but my mind races over it all anyway.

I just know it's the right decision though. All my friends and family noticed that as soon as I made the decision, I started acting more like myself: happy-go-lucky. I was not happy here. I love being around my family and friends, but nothing compares to that exhilarating feeling of waking up somewhere completely different from what you are used to. I can't even explain it.

I'm just glad I have an extremely supportive family (my mother is dealing with it incredibly well), friends (all over the world literally!). I honestly wouldn't feel as good as I do about making the move as I do if it weren't for you guys. I know you will always be there for me. Thank you for that.

I will talk to you all when I arrive at my new home in PHUKET!

2 comments:

BMuffin said...

Good luck my new Thai girl. I'm so proud of you and so excited for you!

madandproud said...

i'm jealous you get to experience this AND have REAL green curry with coconut instead of the imitation stuff we have here.

but more seriously.
YAY MEAGAN!!! you're gonna have such an awesome time.