Friday, May 30, 2008

Land of the Smiles


Rwanda’s nickname is land of a thousand hills…so I find it quite interesting I’m in another “land of the” country…this one of smiles.

Everyone you meet it’s custom to say “Sawadee ka” with a smile and oftentimes a wai. A wai is where you put your palms together close to your chin and bow your head a little. There are a lot of rules regarding wai-ing, depending on who it is you’re talking to. But the safe bet is to always wai back to someone who wai’s you! So I’m wai-ing all over the place haha.

But it was on Wednesday night I truly realized why this place is called Land of the Smiles. I had a long day at work because of my hopeless driving skills and all I wanted was some food I could take back to my room. I went to the same restaurant I did the night before, and within seconds of arriving I heard a familiar voice…It was KOBY! He invites me to sit down with his friends and try some of their food. I sit down and I introduce myself to Nong and Fang. They all work in the travel industry so they understand English. Very nice people!

First of all, they say how impressed they are with my Thai skills. Yea right, I say. They insist my pronunciation of the words I actually do know are great! Sweet.

They order me Som Tam, or papaya salad. It’s a very traditional Thai dish originating in the North of the country. Not really sure what’s in it, but it tastes good! It’s spicy, but Fang said to me “Oh please the spice they put in yours is what we give to babies here!” I don’t’ even want to imagine what full-throttle Som Tam is like. I think I might have passed out on the floor from the spice!

Then the beers start flowing….best beer I’ve ever had! And for sooo cheap…about $2.50 for a HUGE bottle of it. It was after a couple beers I gained the courage to eat part of a fish eyeball. I know, who would think I would ever do that?! Well, when in Rome. Apparently it’s good for your brain and your skin or something. Fang and Koby egg me on as I stare down the eye on my fork. I shove it into my mouth! It’s tiny but I attempt to chew it. Ewww scratch that. It’s hard, so I swallow it whole. Cool!! Now I can put that on my list of things I have done.

I don’t think I’ ve ever had so much fun with strangers. We start singing Cher and Tom Jones outloud! Turns out Koby used to work as a singer in different parts of Asia in bars and hotel lobbies. He is quite the character. He only stands about 5 foot 6 inches, but he packs a lot of personality! He grins the whole night and always looks genuingely interested in what I’m saying. At one point, he starts belting out Josh Groban songs! Then he turns to me and says, “Meagan I already think of you as my sister, I want you to know that I am gay.” I’m touched that he opened up to me so quickly, but I will admit I guessed it from the moment I met him.

After singing, of course comes dancing! They were showing me how to bend m fingers how the Thais do, but my fingers just don’t’ bend that way. Still, they said I’m pretty good for a Farang (white person)! We all got up and started dancing. The entire restaurant was staring me. Whatever, I’m having fun!

One thing led to another, and one beer led to another, and by the time the night was over we had spent 3.5 hours socializing!! My original plans for the night had included going to be at 8 pm after eating some food in my room. This is what I love about travelling. Spontaneity is at every corner!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Meg- I love that you were dancing up a storm...now when you breakdance in Thailand you will earn some fans for life- love you