Monday, June 16, 2008

Taking the wheel

Oh god. I’m going to die. As melodramatic as they sound, those were my thoughts on the first day I started driving in Phuket. I gripped the steering wheel so hard that my knuckles hurt by the time I made it back to my room.

That was about two weeks ago. My work cut me some slack and has given me an automatic car for about a month so I can get used to the roads before I give manual drive another shot. Already, I am getting used to the precarious roads of Phuket, probably a little too used to it.

My first drive all by my lonesome was the longest ten minute drive since I got my license at 16. I kept telling myself “Drive on the left, Drive on the left, don’t forget” because I was so afraid I would turn into oncoming traffic. Thankfully, it’s almost a straight-shot home, except for a few turns. First I had to make a right turn. I went to turn on the signal light and then all of a sudden my windshield wipers go on. Flustered, I tried to figure out what was going on. I was looking down trying to reorient my knowledge about my car’s buttons and switches when I hear a honk. Ahhh! It’s a green light now. Okay my windshield wipers are still going. Wait am I going right? Another honk. Okay I’m going already!

Alright turn number one was a success! No near-death experience. I proceeded to go straight for about eight minutes. But lanes kept appearing and reappearing out of nowhere! I’m confused. Can I go straight or do I have to turn here? Then I freaked out because I got stuck in what I now like to call an “auto-sandwich”. That’s where there is a motorcycle, car, and huge truck across just two lanes of traffic going in the same direction. There is about a foot in between each car. One slight turn, and you would sideswipe someone!

Almost home, I was once again reminding myself to stay left. Then there is a car coming full-force, head-on towards me. I had to double check to see if I was indeed in the left lane. Yes, I’m not crazy! It’s THIS guy driving over the yellow line that is nuts! Just when I was about to take emergency driving action, he swerved back over where he belonged. I guess he was passing someone and decided he felt like going into opposing traffic to do it. Now I know that this happens all the time here. Usually, they will switch on their blinkers to warn oncoming traffic of their intention to defy common sense and stare death in the face.

Switching lanes is ten times harder as it is at home thanks to traffic congestion and motorcycles weaving in and out. I checked my rearview mirror, side-view mirrors and blind spot about three times before I even considered changing lanes on that first drive home. Now I am used to the craziness and I just check it all once! I will admit though that a couple of times I changed lanes when I never would have considered it safe at home. I guess Phuket driving really is having its effect on me! I am being careful, but you have to be aggressive driving here or you’ll never get where you want.

I made it home in one piece that day, and I only accidentally drove on the right once: in the parking lot. No harm done. For the next three days, I refused to take the car anywhere else other than the roads to and from work. Now, I have ventured off to places I have never been with map in hand. I have discovered how to get to some of my favourite beaches on my own. Alright, so I have gotten lost a few times, but I always find my way! You know what they say: getting lost is the best way to figure out where you are. The areas I have gotten lost in are the ones I know best!

Driving here is scary as hell, but it’s also given me a great sense of independence. The next challenge will be learning the rules of the road all over again in a manual drive. Better bring along some Aspirin for those soon-to-be sore knuckles again!

No comments: